Symptoms & Signs to Watch for After a Medical Abortion
In Georgia, a woman can have a surgical or medical abortion up to 20 weeks gestational age. To understand the difference between the two procedures in both the first and second trimester, read our informative blogs:
To stimulate a medical abortion, a woman will take two different medications to induce labor and expel the baby. A common medication regimen includes taking Mifepristone followed by Misoprostol.
Medical Abortion: Normal vs. Severe Symptoms
As with most medical procedures, there will be side effects after the abortion is complete. It’s important to know what symptoms should be expected and what symptoms are abnormal. Discover what symptoms are categorized as normal versus severe:
- Bleeding up to 2 weeks after the abortion
- Menstrual-like cramping for 2 – 6 weeks
- Severe bleeding
- Passing large blood clots
- Soaking 2 or more sanity pads in an hour
- Bleeding heavily for 12+ hours
- Infection symptoms
- Muscle aches and pains
- High fever
- No menstrual period for 2 months following the procedure
- Pain or discharge in the genital area
- Stomach pain and swelling
- Rapid heartbeat
Whether you have normal or severe symptoms, don’t hesitate to go to the emergency room or make an appointment with a medical professional if you feel like something is wrong. We encourage you to be proactive with your health and listen to your body.
Care Instructions After a Medical Abortion
After a medical abortion, it’s important to allow your body to recover from the procedure. Please implement the following care tips:
- Rest for 1 – 2 days after the uterus has been emptied.
- Do not partake in rigorous exercises for 2 weeks.
- Avoid sexual intercourse for 2 weeks.
- Do not douche your vagina.
Women’s Clinic of Atlanta offers compassionate post-abortion exams.
After the medical abortion, it’s vital for your health to have a post-abortion exam. During this exam, your Women’s Clinic of Atlanta nurse practitioner may conduct a physical exam, run lab tests, perform an ultrasound, and discuss birth control (services vary based on the patient).
Most post-abortion exams are complete three weeks after the abortion. However, if you need to talk to someone about what you’re feeling – both physically, mentally, and emotionally – don’t hesitate to contact our team. Make a post-abortion consultation today via text: 404-777-4771