You’ve already had an abortion, and you are experiencing some unforeseen grief… now what?
Choosing to have an abortion may have left you suffering some consequences that you were not expecting. The trained and compassionate care consultants at the Women’s Clinic of Atlanta are here to offer a safe place to talk about your abortion experience. If you have had an abortion(s) in the past, check and see if you are currently experiencing some of the Grief symptoms listed below.
Symptoms of Post Abortion Grief
- Guilt, anxiety, or psychological numbness
- Depression (unexplained feelings of sadness; sudden uncontrollable crying episodes; poor self-esteem; sleep or appetite disruption; reduced motivation; conflicts in relationships; thoughts of suicide)
- Anniversary grief (on the anniversary date of the abortion or due date of the aborted child)
- Flashbacks of the abortion
- Preoccupation with becoming pregnant again or anxiety over fertility and childbearing issues
- Interruption of the bonding process with other children
- Survival guilt
- Eating disorders, alcohol and drug abuse, or other self-punishing or self-degrading behaviors
Post Abortion Healing and Recovery
Recent research is demonstrating that abortion can be responsible for at least some profound long-term emotional disturbances in a woman’s life. Post Abortion Stress or Grief are the terms used to describe a woman’s inability to:
- Process the fear, anger, sadness and guilt surrounding her abortion experience
- Grieve the loss of her baby
- Come to peace with God, herself and others involved in the abortion decision.
The Women’s Clinic of Atlanta offers a safe environment to express and work through the emotions associated with your abortion. If your abortion is still on your mind and heart, no matter how long ago it took place, we would like to help you heal and move on to a happier chapter in your life. We are here to help and support you through your grief. Our post abortion team understands what you are going through. We offer Post Abortion Care sessions that can help you come to terms with your grief and experience forgiveness, peace and healing. Contact us today for information about these sessions and take the first step that will bring the healing that you have been waiting for. All services offered are confidential as allowable by state law.